Welcome to the research database "Scholarly Journals and Newspapers in the Age of Enlightenment" conducted by the Göttingen Academy of Sciences. It offers the most extensive systematic index to German-language periodicals of the 18th century.
The corpus is searchable for reviews and announcements of books as well as for persons, institutions and news from the scholarly world. The database currently offers basic search combined with faceted searching for refining the obtained results. Future possibilities will include advanced search and direct searches via the list of periodicals or the historical subject classification system.
The aim of the project "Scholarly Journals and Newspapers in the Age of Enlightenment", running since 2011, consists in indexing the major representatives of interdisciplinary polyhistoric German-language periodicals and making them accessible as digital copies. The long-term research project of the Göttingen Academy of Sciences, carried out in Göttingen, Leipzig and Munich, cooperates with the State and University Library of Lower Saxony in Göttingen, the University Library in Leipzig, and the Bavarian State Library in Munich. Eventually, in 2025, the database will provide access to 323 periodicals (ca. 2,775 volumes and ca. 1,260,000 pages). Considering the time period, 1688 till 1815, the database will cover the entire spectrum of scholarly journals and newspapers of the Age of Enlightenment.
The data provide information on reviews and announcements of books, on reports about scientific discoveries and projects, and on news from scholars and scholarly institutions.
As the data originate from three different academy projects, the records provide different levels of detail and user comfort.
GJZ 18: "Gelehrte Journale und Zeitungen als Netzwerke des Wissens im Zeitalter der Aufklärung" (Scholarly Journals and Newspapers in the Age of Enlightenment)
(project duration: 2011–2025)
- period: 1688–1800
- content: book reviews and scholarly news
- level of detail and user comfort: systematic content analysis (historical subject classification system and keywords), links to catalogues and digital copies
- number of periodicals: 65
- number of volumes: 765
- number of pages: ca. 520,000
- number of records: ca. 410,000
IdRZ 18: "Index deutschsprachiger Rezensionszeitschriften" (Systematic Index of German-language Review Journals)
(project duration: 1987–2007)
- period: 1688–1784
- content: book reviews
- level of detail and user comfort: systematic content analysis (historical subject classification system and keywords)
- ongoing / planned work: links to digital copies
- number of periodicals: 63
- number of volumes: 510
- number of pages: ca. 330,000
- number of records: 78,335
IdZ 18: "Index deutschsprachiger Zeitschriften" (Index of German-language Periodicals)
(project duration: 1975–1986)
- period: 1750–1815
- content: book reviews (focus on literature)
- level of detail and user comfort: selective content analysis with focus on literary content (keywords)
- Digitization by the project "Retrospektive Digitalisierung wissenschaftlicher Rezensionsorgane und Literaturzeitschriften des 18. und 19. Jahrhunderts aus dem deutschen Sprachraum" ("Retrospective Digitization of Scientific Review Organs and Literary Magazines from the 18th and 19th Century in German-language Areas" (http://goobi2n.ub.uni-bielefeld.de/viewer/projekt/)
- number of periodicals: 195
- number of volumes: 1,500
- number of pages: ca. 412,000
- number of records: 98,000
Contact: gjz18 (at) gwdg.de
The development of the website and database is in continuous progress.